off the junction of A5009 Leek Road and
site of the Medieval Cistercian Abbey was
acquired by Stoke-on- Trent City Council in
1987 and excavated by The Potteries Museum
& Art Gallery's Archaeology Field Unit
between 1987 and 1994. The Abbey was founded by Henry De
Audley in 1219 and consecrated in 1223.
Following the dissolution in 1538 the site was
lost until 1884; it was located during a
chance excavation, later being investigated
and published by Lynam.
site is freely open to the public