began at Shelton Bar in the late 1830s by the fourth
Earl Granville who leased the land from
the Duchy of Lancaster. Shelton was chosen
because of the coal and iron ore seams in
Stoke-on-Trent which provided the raw materials
for iron production.
By 1841 the first blast furnace was in operation
and expansion continued apace: railway lines
were put in to move goods around and in 1854
Hanley Deep Pit was sunk to help provide the
ironworks with coal. In 1951 wrought iron works
with forges and rolling mills were built and a
partnership called the Shelton Bar Iron Company
was set up to run the plant.
In 1866 the decision was made to begin steel
production and the first steel rolled off the
production line in 1888. At the end of the
nineteenth century iron and steel production was
amalgamated under the Shelton Iron, Steel and
Coal Company although production continued at 2
different sites (in Shelton and Etruria)
employing over 3000 people.
Click here for more information about steel